- 1 How is FM radio transmitted?
- 2 How does an FM radio receiver work?
- 3 Why is FM radio better than AM?
- 4 Can cell phones play FM radio?
- 5 How long will FM radio be around?
- 6 How far does FM radio travel?
- 7 How do I fix poor FM radio reception?
- 8 What do you hear when the radio is not properly tuned in?
- 9 Why is FM radio so bad?
- 10 Why is AM radio so bad?
- 11 Why is AM radio not used?
- 12 Which phones have an FM radio?
- 13 What is the best FM radio app?
How is FM radio transmitted?
Both AM and FM radio programs are transmitted over the air via radio waves, which are part of a range of electromagnetic waves that include gamma rays, x-rays, ultraviolet rays, visible light, infrared, and microwave. Electromagnetic waves are all around, everywhere, at different frequencies.
How does an FM radio receiver work?
A radio or FM receiver is an electronic device that receives radio waves and converts the information carried by them to a usable form. An antenna is used to catch the desired frequency waves. Frequency modulation is widely used for FM radio broadcasting.
Why is FM radio better than AM?
With FM, the frequency (the number of times each second that the current changes direction) of the carrier signal is varied. FM signals have a great advantage over AM signals. Both signals are susceptible to slight changes in amplitude. With an AM broadcast, these changes result in static.
Can cell phones play FM radio?
You can easily turn your phone into an FM radio if it has an embedded chipset and the proper circuitry to connect that chip to an FM antenna. All you need is an app like NextRadio, which lets you tune into the signal, and something to act as an antenna, such as headphones or nonwireless speakers.
How long will FM radio be around?
Radio stations will be allowed to continue broadcasting via analogue for another decade, the government has said, after several FM and AM commercial radio licences were set to expire from early 2022.
How far does FM radio travel?
VHF radio waves usually do not travel far beyond the visual horizon, so reception distances for FM stations are typically limited to 30–40 miles (50–60 km). They can also be blocked by hills and to a lesser extent by buildings.
How do I fix poor FM radio reception?
How to Fix Poor FM Radio Reception
- Remove any obstacles you can.
- Check and replace antenna connections.
- Run a frequency scan.
- Switch from stereo to mono.
- Move your antenna: If you have an indoor antenna, place it near a window as high as possible to avoid interference from materials used in wall construction.
What do you hear when the radio is not properly tuned in?
Certain sounds, such as sibilance, whistling, twittering, popping, hissing, buzzing or clicking can point to a particular problem. Some may indicate the problem is being caused by an interfering signal.
Why is FM radio so bad?
One of the reasons FM radio ‘sounds so bad’ is because the source material is bad. In the late 1990’s, stations (and radio companies that own local station ‘clusters’) began going from CDs (and the few carts left) to Music On Hard Drive.
Why is AM radio so bad?
AM stands for Amplitude Modulation and has poorer sound quality compared with FM, but it is cheaper to transmit and can be sent over long distances — especially at night. The lower frequencies of the band we use for AM signals creates a wavelength that is extremely large.
Why is AM radio not used?
The decline in AM audio was due more to regulation than to method of modulation. One aspect of radio not understood by most listeners is the concept of occupied bandwidth, or the amount of spectrum that a station uses to transmit its signal. It displays signals within a specified range of frequencies.
Which phones have an FM radio?
This list includes the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S5 Sport, Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 Edge, Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Galaxy S7, S7 Edge, and S7 Active. THe Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note Edge, Galaxy Note 4, and Galaxy Note 5 are ready for FM radio as well.
What is the best FM radio app?
Top 5 Best Radio Apps for Android in 2019
- 1 – TuneIn Radio – Unveil Up to 100.000 Radio Stations. TuneIn radio application comes with up to 100,000 radio stations.
- 2 – Audials Radio App. Are you looking for a powerful radio app for android?
- 3 – PCRADIO – Radio Online.
- 4 – iHeartRadio.
- 5 – Xiialive.